The entire first floor of Simpson Library is designated as a group study area where talking at reasonable levels is permitted. In addition, the Library has ten study rooms scattered on the second and third floors for the use of UMW students, faculty, and staff only. Some rooms are used for storage, but there are 8 that can be reserved for group study/meetings by UMW students, faculty, and staff.
Students are able to reserve Room 219 and Room 220 on the second floor and Room 305, 306, 307, 311, 312 and 313 on the third floor by visiting: http://umw.libcal.com/booking/SimpsonStudyRooms. In order to keep study rooms available only to students, you must reserve your room using your UMW email account. These rooms are not soundproof, and they are located in quiet study areas, so sound must not disturb others working in the vicinity.
Please feel free to bring your concerns/comments to the Circulation Staff so that we will be able to improve the system. Rooms are available on a first come basis during Library intersession hours and breaks.
A lone occupant of a group study room will be directed to move to a carrel or table, and groups that exceed the occupancy limit or who are excessively noisy will be directed to move to the first floor.
- Rooms can be reserved by scanning the QR code on the study room with your smart phone
or online: http://umw.libcal.com/booking/SimpsonStudyRooms
- In order to keep rooms available to UMW Students, rooms must be booked with your UMW email account.
- Rooms are available in 30, 60 or 90 minute time slots.
- Rooms can be reserved up to three times a week per person.
- Rooms can be reserved up to 14 days in advance.
Terms & Conditions
- A group is two or more people. Study Rooms are only available to UMW Students, Faculty and Staff.
- Groups have priority over individuals. Individuals will be asked to relocate to other spaces when groups are in need of collaborative study space.
- If a room is empty, your group may use it on a first-come, first-served basis, however, reserved study rooms will be immediately made available to the party who reserved it.
- If your group (at least two persons) does not claim a reserved room within 15 minutes of a scheduled reservation start time, the room will be made available to others.
- Study rooms are not locked and are available when the library opens up to 15 minutes before closing.
- Study rooms are not soundproof and they are located on quiet and silent study floors. You must be courteous of other library users. Groups will be asked to relocate to the first floor if noise is an issue.
- Study rooms are monitored by Library Staff and Security who are available to assist you.
- All UMW policies apply to group study rooms.
- Please dispose of trash, recycle and tidy up the room before vacating.
- UMW is not responsible for items in study rooms.